Thread: OS Issue

Son of a MILF WOW Stormscale
    WOW Archimonde
    Diablo III
    Starcraft II

OS Issue

Hey I'm trying to get one of my friends computers up and running again, its a refurbished acer and label on the PC is for windows Vista however he had windows XP installed when i first got it into my hands. The windows XP froze about 5 minutes into the session and this happens every time the operating system is booted.

I formatted his HD and tried installing Windows 7 with two of the CD's I have, it gives me an error every time says that the filepath is invalid and the files required for the installation cannot be reached or something like that. The only operating system I am able to install is Windows XP but after reinstalling it and booting it freezes over and over.

Currently running some HD, MEMORY, AND CPU tests. Any ideas?

Motherboard issue, possibly? Definitely sounds like hardware. Heat, possibly?

WOW Archimonde
    Diablo III
    Starcraft II
    Heat is okay, I suspect the MOBO is fine. I ran a full HDD test hard drive is perfect, now performing some memory tests LRAND, Stride6, INVC, failed first two passes but after the third pass they start to succeed, using the Windows Memory Diagnostic, going to diagnose with other diagnostic tools as well. Now why does it fail on the first couple of passes and succeeds during the latter. WMATS+ just failed on the fourth pass LRAND, and Stride6, just succeeded, will come back later with updated results.

Would going in the bios and changing speeds help with the issue at all?

Who suggests replacing both sticks buying him new ram and getting rid of this headache?

Will try Memtest86 after WMD.

Get @ me i need money from this PC.

Where are the epic hardware literate geeks when one needs them. I am only a wannabee I need HALP
    Last edited by Mintyblood; 03-05-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Little Spoon Star Wars: TOR
    League of Legends
    WOW Archimonde
    Diablo III
    Starcraft II
    Yep, sounds like the Hard Drive has some bad sectors or something or even possibly the "arm" that is located in there isn't read/writing properly.

Is the hard drive making any sounds? Is it a "smooth" hum or some uneven vibrations?
    "don't understand why churches and 'family groups' spend millions of dollars a year on abstinence-only instruction when a World of Warcraft account only costs fifteen dollars a month and has a much better record of ensuring virginity." ~bash.org

WOW Archimonde
    Diablo III
    Starcraft II
    You noob tested HDD and all tests passed all sectors are good, the RAM is whats failing according to WINDOWS MEMORY DIAGNOSTIC, I am now on pass 9 and LRAND STRIDE6 WMATS+ are all "failed".

Little Spoon Star Wars: TOR
    League of Legends
    WOW Archimonde
    Diablo III
    Starcraft II
    Okay, well sounds like you got your answer then!
    "don't understand why churches and 'family groups' spend millions of dollars a year on abstinence-only instruction when a World of Warcraft account only costs fifteen dollars a month and has a much better record of ensuring virginity." ~bash.org

WOW Archimonde
    Diablo III
    Starcraft II
    Yes sir ty for your time.

Thread Information