Lit the last Smoke Diablo III
    Starcraft II

HTPC, Sound Systems, Monster Powercenter... help!

Hey guys and gals,

I recently took the plunge into real estate and bought myself a townhouse, and being the inner tech-geek that I am I have started to go buck wild on entertainment systems. It started out with the necessary big screen TV and a couple couches, but now it's starting to grow into a full fledged entertainment center which I haven't built before so it's been a wild learning curve.

I've ordered the parts to build my own HTPC which is relatively straight forward since I've built computers in the past. I've also ordered a powerline kit for it so I don't have to rely on wireless or drill holes in the floor to run a hard connection from my modem upstairs to the living room downstairs and have wires all over the place. I've seen the powerline kit's in action before and they are pretty cool, but it all depends on the home's electrical so hopefully that all works out for me.

The goal here is to run XBMC on the HTPC for blueray movies/tv shows/music, but I'm a bit stuck on the audio side of everything right now.

I purchased a Monster Home Theater PowerCenter to filter electrical noise/surge protect all these gadgets for what seemed to be a pretty good deal ( http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cate...MPHTS1000MKIII ). I also purchased a Samsung Soundbar system ( http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cate...126&sku=HWF550 ).

Now I'm at the point where I don't know exactly what to plug the HTPC into once I get all the parts in the next week or so and finish building it. I also have just a regular PVR/Digital box for my cable that has to be worked into this mess somehow as well. It's a bit confusing I know, and I'm probably not describing things the greatest cause I don't really know what I'm talking about still...

Basically I don't know how audio will be sent from the HTPC to the sound system just yet.

The powercenter has 8 outlets in it. 4 on the video side, 4 on the audio side.
    On the video side there's TV/Monitor, DVD, Cable/Sat, Digital Video Recorder. I have my TV plugged into TV obviously, DVD and Cable/Sat aren't being used, and my PVR plugged into the DVR slot (I assume the only difference is the name, PVR in Canada is the DVR in the US I think?).
    On the audio side there's plugs for Receiver, Main Amp, CD and Accessory. This is where I started to get lost initially. I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of imagination so I'm not too big on these terms. All I know is that I have a sound bar and a wireless sub, that's pretty much it. The only connection so far is from the sound bar itself, which I plugged into the main amp outlet because from my understanding a receiver is just a combination of an amp and a tuner... which this isn't? I don't know lol.

So my question would be where the heck do I plug in the HTPC if at all possible on this powerbar, and where do I run cables to/from things?! There are HDMI connections as well as digital audio connections and I have a feeling I'm going to have to use both at some point. I was initially leaning towards plugging the HTPC into the video side DVD outlet as the HTPC will have a blueray player built into it and that's kind of the same...? lol. (will have a blueray player if I did all the measurements right and it's fits into the tiny htpc case).

I am just lost on how the audio will be played on the sound system. This is why I shouldn't go into tech stores because I get distracted by pretty things and buy stuff without planning.

If anyone out there has the slightest idea of what I'm getting at any feedback would be awesome cause before I flip the switch I want to make sure that what I'm attempting to do here will actually freakin work. I know it can somehow...

Cheers.

Not sure if it's worth going through the power centre. Although I am by no means an expert. Personally, I would just plug the HTPC directly to the receiver. I doubt there is going to be much of a difference in quality by using that thing.
    (Agent Smith)

Forum User Star Wars: TOR
    Starcraft II

An HTPC plays audio through HDMI connected to the TV. I assume the soundbar also connects to the TV, and you just pick whereever you plug the bar into as your outside audio speakers in your TVs sound menu. The power center is just power. Where you plug things into means nothing. They all perform the same function, the labels don't mean anything. Now, you might have constant power and switched plugs. The switched ones turn on and off with the switch on the power center, but most people leave all of that on and just plug whatever into whatever.

If you have a receiver, and I'm pretty sure you don't need one with the soundbar, the HDPC plugs into it, as a source. DVD and cable boxes would also be a source, and your TV would be your monitor out. All sound also plugs into the receiver.

Starcraft II
    Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I ended up doing after I thought about it for a bit I'm like well 120v is a 120v no matter what I plug into, I was just thinking maybe each plug had a certain type of filter on it for the specific device, but for 75 bucks on sale or whatever I didn't think it was that high tech lol. Currently I have My PVR plugged into the soundbar with HDMI, then the soundbar into TV through HDMI and it's working good. Once I build the HTPC though I think I'll be running the HTPC with the HDMI cables and have the PVR plug into the sound bar with the digital audio connections because it only has 1 HDMI input and I think I'd like to use that for the movies.

The more I use this soundbar though the more I don't like it, I might return it and get something with better quality cause having only 1 HDMI connection available is pretty shitty. It sounds OK though for being just a 2.1 system... maybe I'll buy a HDMI switch or something. There's a few on sale for like 20 bucks.
    Last edited by Ghost; 06-08-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Starcraft II
    Does anyone else use the XBMC/SickBeard/CouchPotato combo? I am using Usenet, but so far like 8-9 of the 20 someodd movies I've got are in like Dutch or French even though the settings I think are correct but maybe someone would have seen more common titles for files and could help me filter out some of these foreign rips although they've given me a couple good laughs.

French Back to the Future and Dutch Predator so far have been the best ones. They must not be a translation for gigawatts cause the doc was going on in French but I could make out gigawatts every time he said it, lol. And the Dutch accent that Arnold has is great, Dillon! you son of a bitch sounded hilarious.

Thread Information