Thread: Elections

sebastokrator Star Wars: TOR _Ashes2Ashes_'s Avatar

Elections

Hey, Canadians. When you guys elect your Moose-King do you waste nearly as much time, effort, and money in the process as we do?

I live in Washington State and we finally decided to decriminalize marijuana. It is the smartest thing that anybody has done on the ballot in years; I fully expect the Feds to be a pain in the ass over it.

Achievement Whore Diablo III Lilena's Avatar
    Co here, soo happy!

Divine Bovinity League of Legends
    Diablo III
    Starcraft II
    How does one apply to be the Moose-King? I am interested in that position.

According to some random source, we Canadians only spent 300 million in the 2008, while you guys (lol) spend 5.3 billion. We probably also have a fraction of the bullshit. There still bullshit mind you, but there's a lot less of it.
    http://randsco.com/index.php/2008/10/24/p594

Oh and sorry, eh.

Village Genius League of Legends
    Diablo III
    part of the difference you can figure bigger population (9-10x the population), bigger landmass/more media markets, more elections. We also have people like Linda McMahon who spent almost $100 mill of her own money running for the senate and losing twice.

To be honest, I don't have TV and I live in Texas (Romney won about 85-15) so no one wastes money advertising political shit in Texas. It's those poor bastards in states like Ohio and Florida who have to deal with that bullshit.

Achievement Whore Diablo III Lilena's Avatar
    And co. I got so sick of fucking adds. EVERY OTHER commercial (and sometimes 3 in a row) was all politics. The past 2 days have been amazing. I ENJOY watching commercials now because it's not political!

Village Genius League of Legends
    Diablo III

God's Away on Business League of Legends
    Diablo III
    its mind-boggling how many phone calls i would get...

Quote Originally Posted by -=NeonovaS=- View Post
    part of the difference you can figure bigger population (9-10x the population), bigger landmass/more media markets, more elections. We also have people like Linda McMahon who spent almost $100 mill of her own money running for the senate and losing twice.
    Good point. Taking my numbers at face value doesn't represent the argument really well. Looking at the impact though, it sounds like you guys are nearly are or are spammed by political advertising. Aside from the road-signs, and maybe a few commercials here and there that's as far as it goes up here.

If anything, there's too little political information in Canada. About anything. Our government in recent years has had a bit of a war against transparency, which is pretty fucked up considering the importance of this decade in global politics and economics. Hell, most people incorrectly think the current ruling political party are the Tories (including most newpapers!), which refers to a party which hasn't existed for several years. Next election promises to be a last ditch attempt at the Liberals, the once dominant leftist (Democrat) party, trying to stay afloat by putting forward the son of a famous Prime Minister as a candidate. It's pretty much an all-in for that group before they get (hopefully) gobbled up by the relatively newer and far more popular leftist group (NDP). The Liberal/NDP battle will doubtless get most of the spotlight, but the growing concern is the East/West split in Canada, which is increasingly more partisan than the North/South split in the US, and with considerably more leverage in the case of western Canada. The tar sands are currently to Canada what the swing-states are to the US.

Add to those problems how ridiculous it is that we have a three party system (derp, what could go wrong??), a dated constitution, laughably shit journalism, and you have a hell of a mess. Right now, things are fine because our banking system has held strong by burying their heads in sand. When that situation inevitably goes tits-up after a housing market crash, the system will be under tremendous strain, putting us roughly where the US was at the end of the Bush administration. The ripples of the recession had already caused our government to go into a tail-spin with annual elections, dramatic attempted coups by coalitions, and a growing popular opinion on separatist parties. The full blown crash is starting to make some blips on the mortgage market, and I have very little confidence that our system will both remain intact and adapt to the required changes.

I'm probably just burnt out from living in Ontario though. Moving back home to BC soon, which will possibly renew my positive view of Canada. But it ain't all sunshine and roses in Moose-King land.

sebastokrator Star Wars: TOR _Ashes2Ashes_'s Avatar
    I think that media, in general, has lost something important. Certainly it isn't courageous enough these days. Frankly, I don't think Watergate would happen in today's climate - major news outlets would simply accept "executive privilege" as a valid reason and move on. I'm skeptical that you could even get as big of a firestorm as Iran-Contra.

I hate to posit most of the blame on shifting priorities of news outlets after takeover: yellow journalism has existed for a long time. But some part of it has to be that your credibility as a news organization isn't the driving force behind your mission. Why should General Electric or Disney care about the quality of journalism produced if the numbers stay in the black?

Lit the last Smoke Diablo III
    Starcraft II
    I don't want to get all political here but I agree that Canadian politics are really going through a critical time right now and it definitely doesn't have enough media attention that it should be getting. Harper giving China control of our resources putting hundred of thousands of Canadians out of work is not someone who we should keep in office. I hope the Canadian citizens actually realize that. I can't wait for the Vancouver market to crash it's been getting ridiculously expensive here because of all the satellite families.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I don't want to get all political here but I agree that Canadian politics are really going through a critical time right now and it definitely doesn't have enough media attention that it should be getting. Harper giving China control of our resources putting hundred of thousands of Canadians out of work is not someone who we should keep in office. I hope the Canadian citizens actually realize that. I can't wait for the Vancouver market to crash it's been getting ridiculously expensive here because of all the satellite families.
    The housing market crash in BC is pretty much why I'll be moving back, and the ridiculously expensive housing is why I left in the first place. Really, with the cost of living equitable to Ontario, I see no reason not to move back. Many people know exactly what Harper is up to, but few realize just how much of a hypocrite and control freak that prick is. Then again, it's been a long time since we've had a leader that isn't shit.

Lit the last Smoke Diablo III
    Starcraft II
    Yeah, whenever there's a "crash" here though there really isn't much movement. It's been slowly dipping lately but really it's only by tens of thousands, I don't think it will actually drop to a reasonable price, but anything helps.

Thread Information