Thread: Nocturne

Nocturne

Interesting champ with some very interesting options. He's an assassin with a very creepy ult. I've been jungling him from little golems, start cloth armor + pots, go wraiths, wolves, blue, then red, it's a little long, but it's not too hard to handle. Wriggle's really helps, as does beserker's greaves, because his only heal is his passive until you have Wriggles. Also, if your passive is up, it's best to charge in and get as many mobs as possible. When doing blue, I ignore the side mobs and focus, letting his passive take out the little guys and garnering the larger heal effect. Same with wraiths and red, I focus the larger. His q gives him a pretty sizable damage buff, and it helps his jungle quite a bit. His fear effect seems very short for a disable. I'm not trying to write a guide, just sharing observations an opening a thread for Nocturne. Any tips or comments on the new champ?

Forsaken League of Legends
    Diablo III
    Starcraft II
    Hey, you beat Slushy to the new champ thread!

I've only played one game, vs AI, but I do enjoy the playstyle of Nocturne. Seems to me like he falls off a little bit late-game, but that could just be my build and stuff.

Have you tried him as a jungler, yet? I think with his passive, and his passive AS, he will make a good jungler, with a little survivability.

Forsaken Star Wars: TOR
    League of Legends
    Diablo III
    Starcraft II
    I couldn't afford him, been playing Dragon Age 2. I'll be buying him when I get home tonight. I probably won't get much time to really work him out though because I'm still playing DA2, but from what I've seen of others play him in game, he looks very promising. Still yet to be impressed by anyone I've played, but I think he's definitely got the make up of a great jungle/gank champ. My guess at a build (entirely theory since I've yet to play a single game as him):

Ionian Boots
    Ghostblade
    Wriggles into Bloodthirster
    Frozen Mallet
    Black Cleaver
    BV

The logic behind the build is max CDR to be able to spam his ability combo (i noticed his spell shield raped me when I was Kass) and to use that ulti to the max. After that, basic survivability with a strong punch. Since he's not carrying, I don't think Last Whisper is necessary since you should be going after their carries who won't have armor above 150 (most likely). The armor pen you get from Cleaver and Ghostblade will decrease their armor to sub 100 probably which I believe 100-150 armor is where last whisper becomes good enough to not be laughed out of the game, hence why I think it is more beneficial to not go LW. I'd take Smite/Flash since you'll have a ghost ability with ghostblade... I agree, I like the double golems, wraiths, wolves, blue, b back, red, gank route... it allows you both buffs with good exp and you can get boots or madreds early.

But as I said, entirely theorycrafting, I'll update after I play him and test everything out.

Legendary Grumpykins League of Legends
    Diablo III
    Starcraft II
    Been playing him a lot. Normally I say that CDR is a must on a lot of champs, but with how his powers work, he is one champ that I don't bother with CDR at all.

His Q puts a trail down that increases your AD by 60 at rank 5 and has a respectable cooldown. E is your main CC, but with the duration of has to stay on your target before it triggers, and the length of the CC, by the time it has worn off, it is almost refreshed. W and R are the only ones that really make having CDR nice, but at the same time, their cooldowns are short enough as is that it really isn't necessary. I would focus mainly on AD and Survivabillity over anything else.

I usually follow this for items in this order:
    Doran's Blade
    Berserker's Boots
    The Black Cleaver
    Banshee's Veil
    Blood Thirster
    Frozen Mallet

Usually I start off with 1 point in Shroud of Darkness or if my partner is an agressive laner, then I start with Duskbringer to ensure First Blood. Using that order of items ensures that my abilities have high burst when used, in addition to high sustained dps after the burst due to the armor reduction of Black Cleaver. After I get those dps items, I want to ensure I stay ahead of the curve and get Banshee's Veil for the added shield and survivability. Then I go back for more damage getting Blood Thirster or if I am doing stupid well, IE. I go this route of Dmg - > Survivability -> Dmg since a lot of players focus on Survivability last and do Dmg -> Dmg until they releaze they are dieing too fast. Finally I end with Frozen Mallet to make sure that my target stayes in range to finish them off.

Went 21/6/15 with him the other night.

Also as a nice little trick to get that extra gold boost:
    Any champ with a global debuff/ability - Karth, TF, Noc
    If a team fight is going on, or a gank is happening, pop your ult. You will get assist credit for just using your ult giving you 50g or so for free even though you are in your base. With a 60 second cooldown on your ult, there is almost no reason not to do this.
    Last edited by Xulkal; 03-17-2011 at 06:20 PM.

Jungle means cloth armor and max health pots. I start little golems, wraiths, wolves, blue, then red, then I have to b. I need no help with that pattern. People who start blue need assistance. His passive is his only health regen, and early it's not enough to jungle really hard. Once I get wriggle's he's a jungle beast, however. Like Xul said, this guy is optimized for attack damage, I've been going crit build. I've never gotten a complete build, game is usually over, but pattern goes:
    Cloth +pots
    madred's
    boots and Wriggles
    berserkers greaves
    BF sword
    then, depending on how game is going
    Bloodthirster or Banshee's veil.
    Start with W, then Q after golems. Follow with E, so you can combo q and e on minion groups. Feed q to max afterward, then split e/w as you see fit. The w first gives you attack speed boost, while q gives AD while on his glowing field. E will make blue buff roam without hitting you while doing modest damage (50, I think).
    For runes I've been going Armor Pen Reds, Armor Yellows, Attack speed Blues, and Health Quints.
    Masteries are 21/0/9 going max xp bonus and 1 in Buff duration, with Smite and Ghost.
    I know, the veil is similar to his w, but being an assassin means being behind enemy lines. The best time to attack is after start of engagement, and his ult takes you straight to squishies trying to ranged from back. R back, pop q and e, and hold w if they target you quickly so you can try and finish your target or qet back to friendly lines. He is FANTASTIC at ganking solos, so much so that teams playing against him are loath to send out a solo unless it's a trap, so watch that solo gank if you don't see the enemy team, they're probably waiting for you to ult.
    The good thing about this is if your team can handle 4v5, it allows someone who's a great pusher to push side lanes while keeping the enemy from responding effectively (They have to send two to respond, meaning you can now push 4v3). He works great with a pressure game, which is how I like to roll. Hard to play with passive players, though, as early you're going to need help completing ganks (As Xul said, his cc is short duration), and if they're not on the ball, you're not getting a kill. He's fun, though, and has a great creepy factor. Banshee's will prevent his ult from blinding you, but that's a great way to pop enemy veils for follow on attacks.
    He synergizes well with Teemo (esp with tp, because his shrooms allow greater visible range and assist with jungle ganks), TF (obvious reasons) and Shen (another obvious assist). A really alert Pan is also a good teammate, unfortunately those are not really common. I've not played with a GP, but I suppose his ult, or really anyone with some kind of global, would be great help (Karthus, anyone?).
    I haven't jungled him much in practice. Slushy, if you can figure out a better pathing and build, I'm all ears, because I love this guy, but he's a rough jungle and I kinda hate laning with him because noone really takes a junlger with this guy on board.
    Last edited by Badzombieash; 03-18-2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Added jungle build, play experience.

Diablo III
    Starcraft II
    I actually start at blue golem with no assistance. Look at my nocturne runpage for more information. I also do a 21/0/9 mastery setup. It is currently set as that.

I clear all the camps and am level 4 before the mids even hit level 4.

Also for great fun (because most nocturnes start at blue) if you ever see another nocturne in a game, instead of going blue > wolves > wraiths > red go blue > wolves > wraiths > THEIR red. You catch them doing red, kill them take their red. Win win for you!

Also, I don't upgrade his cloth armor into anything. Waste of money IMO. I see no point go going to madred's for anything. I end up selling the armor most games in order to quickly buy something.
    Last edited by Maverick; 03-19-2011 at 12:43 AM.

got a link to your page?

Diablo III
    Starcraft II
    Go to friends list, right click my name, view profile.

*edit* i'm mavada
    Last edited by Maverick; 03-19-2011 at 10:32 PM.

Forsaken Star Wars: TOR
    League of Legends
    Diablo III
    Starcraft II
    After playing him a bunch this past weekend I've optimized my build:

Ionian Boots
    Madreds Blood
    Bloodthirster
    Frozen Mallet
    Guardian Angel
    Ghostblade

What I was noticing was that he synergizes well off attack speed but with all the early items such as lantern and BF sword, he wasn't getting any. By the time I could utilize his AS, it was already big team battles. So by going for Blood instead of lantern, I get that early AS, plus once Blood is finished it's a far better item than wriggles since it also comes with I think +35 AD (i'm too lazy right now to look up the #). My routine right now is:

Cloth Armor + 5 health pot
    Golems, Wraiths, Wolves, Blue, back to spawn
    Buy boots and a ward/health pot (you should have 1 or 2 health pots left)
    Go do red and whatever else has respawned in your jungle
    Gank bottom or mid
    Use the ward at either his red, blue, or at dragon

I found the reduced cooldown very useful. At 40%, your ulti is on a 60 second cool down which is HUGE. Also, the rest of your spells are at around 6-8 seconds now. Now, you can definitely bypass the CDR if you can maintain blue for most of the game, but that is tough to do usually because the AP carry will almost 100% of the time be demanding it around the 15-20 minute mark. Boots and ghostblade slot are definitely not integral to my build, but I just wanted to note that I saw a distinct difference in my gameplay from no-reduced CDR items to max CDR.
    Last edited by Slushy; 03-20-2011 at 10:36 AM.

Thread Information