PDA

View Full Version : Need to Restart Router more often than i'd like.

12-27-2003, 09:42 PM
Im getting really ticked off at my router which has been acting up lately.
Every once in awhile, my connection dies on me, even though my cable modem still shows activity. I put in my gateway address in my web browser to see if i can even reach the router, and i cannot.
The only solution to this is to restart my router.
Can this be the connection's fault, like they're sending me bad data? Or is my router messed up. I'm in the process of finding firmware updates for it, so is there anything else i should do. Also, i dont remember this happening before i had multiple computers set up. When I had only one computer on the network it seemed very rare for the router to go down.
What should i DO?

Tass
12-28-2003, 02:52 AM
Does this happen to every connection to the router? try changing ports. Try a different ethernet cable. try connecting straight the cable modem for a while and see if it still happens (if it does, it's on your end, not the router's end).

Think process of elimination.

Crisis
12-28-2003, 10:43 AM
That was happening to me quite a bit a few weeks ago. I thought the cable was just down after the second day I started screwing around with it. I forgot that all the comps had to be shut down for it to work. So it took a long time to figure out.

12-29-2003, 03:52 AM
I would recommend that you just throw the router across the room a couple of times.... you might see a difference in it! LOL

Mr. W.
12-31-2003, 08:45 PM
I have a similar problem. Netgear wireless, every so often (frequently, if i'm using my connection alot), the DNS is down... funny thing is that IPs work, so if I've already resolved the address I'm usually ok.

I just take the plug out and put it back in.

Stealth
01-02-2004, 03:07 AM
yea my home router does the same thing...

01-03-2004, 09:38 PM
I had the same problem with one of my routers turned out it was defective. I got a linksys and it's worked great since then. The only time it drops is if my cable drops.

Tass
01-04-2004, 01:11 AM
Jeffy P., is that you? :)