PDA

View Full Version : Best motherboard for a p4 3.0 800fsb

Uskilla
12-24-2003, 03:48 PM
What is THE best motherboard for a p4 3.0ghz 800fsb

That has included LAN , audio and at least 8 USB2.0 ports.

I know there's p8p800, p8p800 deluxe, p8c800-e and others but I don't really know which one is really the best, performance and reliability wise.

Also: Looking for a case that has integraded Digital LCD Temperature monitor and stuff... I know the Thermaltake Xaser has these but are there other brands that do?

Crisis
12-26-2003, 09:37 AM
I really don't follow anything pentium but I do know ABIT IC7-MAX3 Motherboard's are one of the best on the market.

You could buy a cheaper case like a full tower chenming (Chenming A2ESW aluminum w/ 3 fans and around $90) and then just get a fan controller. Thermaltake is the only company that actually sells a case with the LCD displays I think. You should also look into Kingwin cases. They have some pretty affordable aluminum cases and they have been designed very well. In the yearly case roundup the Coolermaster Wave Master case won so you should look into that as well. If you end up going with the Xaser be warned that the wire management will make you rip your hair out and it is very heavy. It does the job very nicely though. It's spacious and comes with 7 Smart Fan II's. Thermaltake
XaserIII Lanfire VM2420AU wouldn't be a bad choice either. Should be around $210 and comes with a 420W Silent PurePower PS and the 5 Smart Fan II's I believe. That case is also aluminum.

Take a look at the following fan controllers:
-Coolermaster Aerogate II
-Vantec Nexus NXP101 Multifunction Panel
-Thermaltake Hardcano 9

Uskilla
12-27-2003, 02:17 AM
Computer I've chosen:

Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz 800fsb (HT and all the works)
Asus P4P800 Deluxe Motherboard (was hesitating between the itl865PE chipset and the SiSŪ655FX chipset. Finally went with the itl865PE cause I already have a computer with this motherboard (not deluxe) and it works perfectly.)
1GB of 400mhz DDR ram (Unsure of brand yet)
A Maxtor 160GB SATA 7200rpm Hard Drive (8MB cache)
The Thermaltake Xaser V1000A Case (case actually has 7 fans it's insane.)
A 550Watt Powersupply that I got for a very decent price

And my friend who works in this and has astonishing prices is selling it for
1222 CND.

This is not my computer, it's for my dad. I'm actually thinking of getting the cool Thermaltake Aquarius III Liquid Cooling System. It looks so fucking nice. I'm just really scared of liquid around my computer and I'm not convinced that catastrophes don't happen.

I already have a P4 2.6ghz 800fsb with all the cool stuff but i just want one of these cool custom cases :D.

What'd you guys think?

Also, my dad wanted to get a radeon all in wonder 9800 pro because he needs to connect it to his tv and do stuff, i don't really know what... was wondering if there was a better card to do tv connections and stuff, cause I really don't know.
We're getting the GFX card for 461 CND... I don't know if we're gonna buy it...

Crisis
12-27-2003, 11:25 AM
Aquarius isn't a very good idea. No portable water solutions are any good. It hasn't got great reviews. If you're thinking of going the water route get the good stuff. Swiftech has some really good complete kits but none include the VGA blocks.

Might be a good idea to get PC4200 RAM or something to run in sync with the CPU. OCZ PC4200-EL 2x512MB (copper) will be about $600. But I guess it really depends on what you're using this computer for.

Xaser case...be careful with the top firewire ports. On the older models the OEM fucked up the wiring which will kill your mobo and IEEE device. Make sure to ask the supplier if they have recently recieved them, if its fairly old don't use the top ports. The instructions for the Hardcano are piss poor. It's one of those things you'll probably have to figure out yourself. It's pretty straight forward though because most of the cables are labelled. Because of the 7 fans and not so long cables it makes it fairly difficult to hideaway those cables. The Xaser III HD cage is also sideways so I couldn't install the SATA adaptor for the IDE HD because the door wouldn't close.

Radeon AIW 9800 Pro will work great for all applications but it will run a bit hotter I believe. Look into some BGA Ramsinks and reapplying the the heatsink. Its really not hard at all. Takes maybe 10 minutes but be sure to use quite a bit of quality thermal paste. The only 3rd party cooling that fits the AIW models is the Vantec Iceberq Pro's (might be not be the pro version).

Give me a shout if you need help with anything.

Jeweladdict
12-27-2003, 12:58 PM
whats the benefit of water cooling?

Is it less noisy?
Cools quicker?

Crisis
12-27-2003, 02:33 PM
whats the benefit of water cooling?

Is it less noisy?
Cools quicker?

Air cooling will get you to maybe 20C and thats with one loud ass HSF. With a good water cooling system you could probably stay a few degrees over ambient (cpu, vga, chipset). It's also a lot less noisy.

Uskilla
12-27-2003, 06:40 PM
Yeah but is it dangerous? I mean... putting water near electrical circuits and hoping it won't fuck up. That's like giving a bomb to a terrorist and hoping he won't plant it somewhere.

What are the risks? I find it REALLY interesting but I don't think I'll ever buy that cause it's too risky.

I mean:
http://www.swiftnets.com/assets/images/products/MCW20/P4SYSTEM-630x476.jpg

Come on... lol I'd be scared.

Crisis
12-27-2003, 09:50 PM
Before you turn on the pc you check for leaks. Spilliing water or something on your computer isn't alll that bad as long as its not running. You can just let it dry for a long time and its usually a-ok.